The Meetinghouse has been the center of the Sudbury community for hundreds of years—our bell marks the passing of time—and our doors are open to a wide variety of groups and to the greater community.
When it was constructed in 1797, the Meetinghouse served two purposes. It functioned as a town hall for conducting the business of the town and was also the place to gather for Sunday worship, which was mandatory for all residents. Elections, lectures, regular town meetings, and Sunday services were all held in the Meetinghouse until church functions and town government were separated in Sudbury in 1836. The Meetinghouse continues to open its doors for town organizations.